Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Russian River Experience at Parry's Pizza

Each time I visit Parry's Pizza, I'm reminded that this is arguably the finest beer bar in the south Denver metro area. I discovered this gem in April of this year, a couple weeks after Parry's Greenwood Village location opened. They feature 50 craft beers on tap, with many local breweries represented. The food menu is expansive as well, centered around New York style pizza but also including starters, salads, calzones and more. It's also a family-friendly place that's appropriate for kids. But I think a major factor that sets this bar apart from others, in addition to the large and ever-rotating tap list, is the schedule of frequent beer events Parry's hosts. They've held major tap takeover events featuring Avery Brewing, Odell Brewing, New Belgium Brewing, Dogfish Head Brewing and others. By "major," I mean close to 20 draft beers from the featured brewery, including limited and highly sought after offerings. Needless to say, I'm a fan.

When I saw a message recently from Parry's "Ale Yeah!" email group about a special Russian River Brewing Company tapping, I knew I had to make another visit. I passed up the chance to try two of Russian River's wild ales at Rackhouse Pub's "Battle of the Barley," so I wasn't going to let this opportunity pass me by! Russian River, located in Santa Rosa, California, is most famous for Pliny the Elder double IPA, the nation's highest rated beer. It also produces some of the nation's highest rated wild or sour ales, and it was about time I tried them. Russian River has scaled back its distribution outside of California in the past year, so kegs of these amazing beers don't make it to many bars in Colorado. When they do, they usually don't last more than a few hours.

I was able to have a glass of Pliny the Elder before the keg kicked. It was my second time trying it, but the first time on draft. It's a wonderful, balanced double IPA with huge citrus and piney hop aroma and flavors. While Pliny is an outstanding beer and example of what a double IPA should be, I've had several other DIPAs that definitely give it a run for its money. I think this is more a reflection of how many great breweries are able to consistently produce excellent hop-forward beers.

The highlight of this Russian River experience was the opportunity to also try the beers Temptation and Supplication. Temptation is a wild blond ale that's aged in Chardonnay barrels. It pours clear and pale, with a thin head. An aroma of tart fruits is present, and the taste is crisp, tart and finishes very dry. It's a very complex wild ale that exhibits a lot of character from barrel-aging and the use of the wild yeast Brettanomyces. Supplication is a wild brown ale that's been aged in pinot noir barrels with sour cherries. It's an absolutely delicious beer that's delicate, complex and mesmerizing all at once. Several wild yeast strains are used in the aging process, giving it an appropriate amount of funky, sour flavor.

Overall, it was another great craft beer occasion at Parry's. I really appreciate having a place like this in my neighborhood, and can't wait to hear what they plan to pull off next.

No comments:

Post a Comment